Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Best Pumpkin Pie - Cindy's Recipe


It's that time of year again, crisp apples, falling leaves and a really good pumpkin pie! I made one yesterday and I must say it tasted pretty good, in fact I think it tasted great. Every year I think about experimenting with new recipes for that traditional pie, but this is one pie that shouldn't deviate too much from the standard because I think it has a deep association with tradition and childhood memories. I'm not going to include a pie pastry recipe this time around, because that is another whole issue, at least in this household. (My husband and I disagree on the best pie pastry recipe) With all that said, give this recipe a try and hope you will be pleased.

Pumpkin Pie

Filling:
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 tsp of ground cinnamon (generous)
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt (fine, kosher)
2 tbs maple syrup
2 large eggs
15 oz of canned or fresh cooked , pureed pumpkin
12 fl oz of evaporated milk

1 unbaked 9 in (4 c. volume) pie shell

Combine pumpkin, eggs, milk, maple syrup, Gradually add spices and sugars. Pour into pie shell. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 min. Reduce temp to 350 and bake for 40 min. or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments: