Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Try This



While many of the dishes I cook at home I end up adapting from recipes or inventing on my own, there are a few staple go-to recipes that I can't live without and wouldn't dream of changing (at least not too much!).

Here is one to try from the great cooking magazine Food & Wine:

Beef Tenderloin Steaks with Celery Root Gratin
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/beef-tenderloin-steaks-with-celery-root-gratin

I've made this dish a number of times. The steak is delectable (though tenderloin is not the most flavorful cut, it makes up for it in melt-in-your mouth texture, plus, the sauce is plenty tasty). I usually substitute the celery root gratin for a classic potato gratin...but do as you wish. Haricot vert round this out nicely (if you must have a vegetable, that is...).

I like to serve this dish by plating a rectangle of potato gratin in the center of a pasta bowl. Place the steak on top of the gratin and then drizzle the sauce over the steak and around the gratin. If you are including green veggies, they can scatter around the dish (in the case of something like brussel sprouts) or pile to one side (with haricot vert).

Serve with: A Burgundian Pinot Noir or a Cote du Rhone

Bon Appetit!

No comments: