Thursday, October 30, 2008

Something simple this way comes: Boat Street Cafe is wickedly good

Restaurant Name: Boat Street Cafe
Location: Seattle, Washington

We don't get out much, since the baby keeps us pretty busy, so when we do have an adult-only dinner opportunity, our expectations are pretty high....so I'm happy to report that our dinner at Boat Street Cafe in Seattle hit the mark.

Jeff and I have enjoyed lunch at Boat Street several times, and have always been pleased, but last night we had the opportunity to try their dinner service. Wow!
My favorite thing about dinner at Boat Street is how simple and relaxed the atmosphere is. Boat Steet offers simple French food in a French country kitchen atmosphere - white washed walls, lots of candles, old hardwood floors. The clientele is laid back as well. We had a group of older ladies enjoying dinner together on our left and a couple of business people dining on our right. It's not loud, but it's not hushed silence either, and you can easily relax and enjoy yourself without feeling like you have to act or dress a certain way. This leaves lots of opportunities to savor and focus on the food. YUM!

Since we wanted to take full advantage of our dinner away from the baby, we ordered starters....Jeff had the salad with poached egg, very smokey bacon, and large housemade croutons. I enjoyed the half order of the crab cake entree...which was amazing! I want a lot of crab and flavor in my crab cakes and these did not disappoint. The crab cake was served with some lemony greens, a hot pepper sauce (served on the side) and some amazing pickled red peppers and raisins. Eaten all together, this was a perfect balance of flavors.

If I thought my starter was good, my main blew me away...it just might have been the best cod I've ever had. Unbelievably simple preparation of pan frying with salt, pepper, butter, and lemon, the fish was near perfect - and as someone who doesn't usually order fish, this is saying alot. What made this dish so unique was the fact that the other items on the plate were such an amazing compliment to the cod - lemony parsley salad and cold pesto potatoes. Serving something very hot on the same plate with something nice and cold may sound odd, but it was truly inspired in my opinion.

I ate very bite and wished I'd had room for more...of course, we had to leave room for dessert.....simple said...do not miss out on their signature dessert of amaretto bread pudding (served warm) with rum butter cream. I recommend sharing this rich, outstanding dessert, as we did.

Dinner can be had, quite well, for about $50/person, which is well worth the price! If you haven't tried Boat Street, you should rush out tonight!

Boat Street Café / Boat Street Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments: